|In the late 1970's when the Tulsa Audubon Society was raising funds to
purchase property for an eagle sanctuary on Lake Keystone, Jack Miller,
a well-known artist from Sand Springs, donated prints of his painting of
an eagle in flight to help in the fundraising efforts. Thanks in part to
the publicity and money generated by this donation, the Society was able
to acquire the property.
A Tulsa native, Miller began working as a professional artist in 1950
when he entered the U.S. Air Force. During his 2 1/2 years of active
duty and five years in the reserves, Miller worked as an illustrator.
Many of his artworks were included in "Air Force Times" and one of his
etchings of a Model-T Ford was displayed in the Library of Congress in
Washington, DC. Miller began his art studies at Oklahoma State
University after graduating from Webster High School in Tulsa. He left
school to enter the service and then returned to complete his bachelor's
degree in art with a minor in advertising in 1953. He worked as a
television artist and in advertising before joining Public Service Co.
of Oklahoma where he was employed for 25 years. He retired from PSO in
1985. At PSO, Miller did architectural drawings of power plants,
substations and office interiors as well as worked in the company's
publications and advertising departments. In October 1983, Miller's oil
painting "God Shed His Grace on Thee" was featured in "Southwestern Art"
magazine's annual collectors edition. His eagle painting was used on the
covers of telephone directories in Oklahoma, and his works have been
displayed throughout the U.S., as well as overseas in South America,
Russia, and France.
After Miller's death in 1996, his son, Jack Miller, Jr., generously
donated these prints of the Bald Eagles and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher,
done by his father, to the Tulsa Audubon Society.
Click here for an article
about Jack Miller from the Sand Springs Leader, April 14, 1985
Here for an article from the April 4, 1979 Tulsa World
describing the eagle roost fund
raising campaign and the donation by Jack Miller.